The G-series was the most built 109 variant. It was
fitted with the new DB 605 engine and was built from 1941 right up until
the end of the war in 1945. In the G-series the odd numbered versions
(G-1, G-3, etc) were pressurized and the even numbered type
unpressurized. The DB 605 engined aircraft can be recognized by the
small air scoops on the cowling.
Twelve G-0 prototypes were constructed. Because the DB 605 was not yet
ready, they were fitted with the DB 601E.
The first production variant powered by the DB 605A-1 engine. This was
armed with 2 x MG 17 and an engine mounted MG 151/20. The G-1 was
pressurized and fitted with GM-1 powerboost.
basically the same as the G-1 but unpressurized and not fitted with GM-1
The G-3 had slightly larger main wheels which necessitated small bulges
on the upper side of the wings. Aside from this it was identical to the
The unpressurized variant of the G-3.
The pressurized G-5 introduced the MG 131 machine gun in the fuselage
and so the famous "Beule" to accommodate the feed chutes for
this gun. Standard engine was the DB 605 A-1 but the DB 605 AM and AS
versions were also used.
This was the unpressurized version of the G-5. In later aircraft the
engine mounted MG 151/20 was replaced by the MK 108. The G-6 was
produced in great numbers from 1942 to 1944. Although initially the
engine was the DB 605 A-1, later also DB 605 AM, AS, ASC and D versions
The G-8 was a modified G-6 fitted with only the engine mounted machine
gun and camara's. Used as a reconnaissance fighter.
The G-10 was intended as a stop-gap measure pending the introduction of
the K-series. It was intended to use the DB 605D engine for this version
but the unavailability of this engine led to the use of the DB605AS
instead. It was armed as the G-6 with 2 MG 131 and a MG 151/20. A number
of older G-6 and G-4 airframes were retrofitted to G-10 standard. Most
G-10's were fitted with a new canopy which improved vision for the
pilot. Aircraft fitted with an DB 605AS or D engine can be recognized by
the new refined cowling form, dispensing with the bulges.
The G-12 was a two-seat trainer. No G-12's were produced as new
airframes, all were converted G-4, G5, G-6 or G-14 aircraft. A second
cockpit was added behind the first. About 100 examples were converted.
Initially this version introduced a new, larger rudder and the new
"Erla" or "Galland" canopy. Although higher in
number than the G-10 it actually preceded it. Due to the difficult
conditions in which aircraft were produced in Germany by this time, many
variations occurred in this type as in the G-16. So not all G-14 were
fitted with the new canopy or new tail. Some were powered by The DB
605A, but AS and AM type engines were also used.
This was the last of the Gustavs. It was only produced in very small
numbers. It was fitted with additional armor around the cockpit and
R1: ETC 500 bomb rack under the fuselage with a SC 250 bomb
R2: ETC 50 bomb rack with four SC 50 bombs
R3: 300l Auxiliary fuel tank beneath the fuselage
R4: Two 300l fuel tanks under the wing
R5: Two MK 108 canon in gondola under the wings
R6: Two MG 151/20 machine guns in gondola under the wings
R7: Transponder fitted behind the pilot
G-series also used so called factory conversion sets or "Umbausätze"
These were indicated by a "U" with a number. These were mostly
factory fitted and could not be fitted or removed in the field.
U1: A Me 6 propeller
U2: Wooden, larger tail plane
U3: MW50 Methanol Water power boost
U4: Wooden tail plane like in U2 but with a longer tail wheel intended
to facilitate taxiing
U6: Tail plane used only in G-14 airframes